Sunday 15 December 2013

The Common Wardrobe: Pretty in Pink?

So here's my common wardrobe again, which consists mainly of neutral colours:


As you can see, I have included a pink top. Somehow I have managed to acquire five different pink tops - did someone mention signature colours? - even though pink hasn't featured much in my wardrobe in previous years. I have had the jumper shown in look 1 for several years, plus the t-shirt in look 4, however the other three tops have all been purchased within the last twelve months. As you will notice, there are several different shades of pink here, some of which flatter me more than others. In my last post I said that, if you've assumed that a bright colour such as red doesn't suit you, try on several different shades and you might discover one that really flatters you.
Look 1
Look 2
Look 3
Look 4
Look 5
I know that the lighting in these photos isn't perfect but, out of the five different pink tops, which one do you think suits me the most and which one is the least flattering? You might want to try a similar experiment yourself, especially if you don't have a lot of colour in your wardrobe. Next time you're shopping choose a colour that you like but wouldn't normally buy and then select a light shade, a deep shade plus a cool and a warm tone to try on and see if you can find one that looks good on you. Below are a few different pinks to illustrate what I mean: the chances are that not every shade would suit you but you might discover one that is just perfect for you.


Don't forget that even accessories can brighten up your neutral wardrobe. I have a pink pair of leather gloves that I've had for several years and which I enjoy wearing with my navy trench-coat or black and white winter coat.  My most recent purchase was a lovely warm scarf for when I visit the UK in January - guess what colour it is?


6 comments:

  1. Great color for you. I like Look 2 the best from the photos anyway. Which one do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juhli,

    I can't decide between Look 2 and Look 3 (I like the layered effect). Look 1 is spoilt by the neckline - I think round and v necklines suit me better - though I like the colour. The pale pink in Look 4 is a bit wishy-washy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look nice in all of them but I like the softness of the color in look 4

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like #2 best, then #5. #4 is my least favourite. I think it is to pale for you.

    Sharon/Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the layered effect. Look 4 might go well under something brighter but I agree, it's too pale. Pink does suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like #2 is the winner, with an overall vote for pink in general. Thanks for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete